Yesterday, my computer died on me. When I tried to reboot it, I got a message saying there had been a Thermal Event and then it died again. It kept giving me this message every time I tried to reboot it. I called the guys that drive the cute little Beetles and work at Best Buy. They said it didn't sound good and I should bring it in which I did after trying to carefully place all the cords in an order so that I would be able to plug them back in correctly. I brought the Tower in after having much trouble getting it in and out of the car without dropping it (it's heavier than it looks). As I walked into the store, I was stopped by a security guy and he had to find just the right spot to place a little blue sticker on my tower as I tried not to drop it. I then went to the wrong counter and finally found my way to the Greek Squad. A very young man looked my tower over and after I told him exactly what the message was before the darn thing went kaphlooey on me -- he asked me again.....I guess it didn't compute. He jiggled a few wires inside and took out the RAM and put some new RAM in and said that is probably what the problem is....I needed more RAM. So I paid $150 for that and the 2 second installation work and grabbed a cart to wheel my computer Tower to the car. I was relieved that it was fixed in such a short time and after getting it back home, I tried hooking up the wires (my short term memory is not what it used to be) and after a couple of wrong plug-ins I was able to turn it on. And then it died on me again. Well, apparently, the young man didn't try to start it after he installed the RAM....#$%&*#!
I put in another call to Worst Buy and went through the whole spiel again and this time the guy said it sounded like I may need a new fan if the message was telling me there was a Thermal Event happening (I'll tell you what....the computer wasn't the only one having a Thermal Event). So.....I unplugged everything carefully again and hauled the Tower out to the car and drove over to Worst Buy. This time, I came in and got a cart to wheel the Tower inside and I went to the right counter. The young man who had helped me did a double take when I walked in and said, "Weren't you just in here an hour ago?" Boy, I must not be too memorable #$%&$! Well, he took the back off again and jiggled some more wires and said he would have to run a Diagnostics test on it to see what the problem was. At this point, I said I wanted my old RAM back and didn't want to be charged for the new RAM or the 2 second installation. He said OK and that he was sorry.....Not as sorry as I was!
Since the Dell is no longer under warranty, I will probably end up getting a new one. I decided to drive up north today so I had access to my laptop to pay bills, read blogs, etc. I think I may be addicted to my computer.
That was my Sunday.
3 comments:
that is a sad, sad #$(#$#( tale and I am sorry to hear of it. Reminds me of times I've had with computers and the frustration is unbelievable and yes, yes, yes I understand the 'addiction' as I too have that problem. My name is JB and I am addicted to my computer : )
Hoping that you are able to get some peace from PC problems up nort' and that you will find a more satisfying solution upon your return down south.
The best answer I have found for computer problems is Apple. yes. I've not had any problems since making the leap to Apple (I say with fingers crossed, knocking on wood, etc. etc. so that tomorrow my Mac does not crash : )
Glad you are back online.....
Am sorry to hear of your troubles, but enjoyed very amusing accounting of them!
I am addicted to many things, but not my computer. Perhaps the other addictions take up all my hard drive.
Sorry to hear about your computer woes. I have had my dell laptop for 3 years now and I use it so much, I have this fear its going to go on me. If it does go, I don't have the money for a new one, so I spend lots of time worrying about this. Because I too am a computer addict. I do, however, highly recommend Dell laptops. Mine is on all the time, it has spent much time downloading (both legally and illegally), plus it has been knocked to the ground twice (by cats) and it's still working. I hope you get everything worked out soon.
Post a Comment