Thursday, October 22, 2009

Peacock from Schell's Brewery in New Ulm


Here is a picture of a peacock (there was a white one behind this one) that was wandering the grounds and garden at Schell's Brewery in New Ulm. We will be going to New Ulm in November and will probably stop at the brewery again. Fun time!
I just watched the Wolves beat Detroit tonight and I must say they looked pretty good....lots of 3 point shots. It will be tough without Kevin Love and Al Jefferson playing for awhile but the young guys love to play and it's fun watching them.

I hear that the Twin Cities is supposed to get some snow and rain tomorrow...for once, we won't be getting any. That's just fine with me. :-) You should see the yard...it's just covered with wet leaves. Will have to let them dry out and then blow them all into the grove.

We had a fire going today after the chimney sweep cleaned it out....man, it still irks me what he charged to do it. Why do I feel that he cleaned my clock??? That was a saying that Dad used to say....I guess I should look that one up too cause I'm not sure about the origin or meaning of that one. Jonathon Lighter’s Historical Dictionary of American Slang lists To Clean from 1819 in the sense of vanquishing or drubbing. The slang use of clock to mean face may also be from the nineteenth century.

2 comments:

J Brand said...

I heart the peacock and think visiting the brewery sounds like a fine idea indeed.

far as snow, I hear a cold rain is falling outside right now and might be snow mixed in. glad to hear you won't be getting it. tomorrow, though, 49 and sunny.

far as cleaning clocks go, guess that might be cheaper than cleaning chimneys? interesting to find the origins of those old sayings--many of which seem to be disappearing through the years---guess new ones are replacing them.

Will someday people be looking up the origin of whassup? and wondering why their parents used such a strange phrase?

Anne said...

I love the peacock photo-very pretty.

A fire sounds very nice. I could use a fire tonight. It's cold and rainy and it did snow a bit earlier today, but it was just the kind that melts when it hits the surface.

Very interesting about the "clean my clock" phrase. Never heard that one. My grandpa used to always say "you bet your boots."