Sunday, October 10, 2010

Indian Summer

What a beautiful weekend we have had. I was up nort' getting the cabin ready for guests next weekend which I hear is supposed to be in the 70's. :-)

I was wondering where the term Indian Summer came from and found this in Wikipedia:

The expression 'Indian summer' has been used for more than two centuries. The earliest known use was by French-American writer St. John de Crevecoeur in rural New York in 1778. There are several theories as to its etymology:
In The Americans: The Colonial Experience, Daniel J. Boorstin speculates that the term originated from raids on European colonies by Indian war parties; these raids usually ended in autumn, hence the extension to summer-like weather in the fall as an Indian summer. Two of the three other known uses of the term in the 18th century are from accounts kept by two army officers leading retaliation expeditions against Indians for raids on settlers in Ohio and Indiana in 1790, and Pennsylvania in 1794.[2]
It may be so named because this was the traditional period during which early American Indians harvested their crops of squash and corn.

I like the second theory best. Let's hope our Indian Summer continues for many more days.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Very interesting. I do hope the weather continues to cooperate when your guests are visiting next week. I'm glad the temps are lowering a bit. 85 was a bit much for me. 70s are good.

Your jibjab video wouldn't load for me. I'll have to try again later. Also, I'm no longer receiving e-mail notifications when you post to your blog. I always did before.