Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Antique Treasures

I thought I'd show you what I bought at the Antique show the other day. I'm a sucker for any kind of angel (I love her face with her rosy cheeks) and also anything related to Halloween....this is a Halloween noisemaker. They are hard to find and I'm sure will be worth a lot of money some day.....I hope. I also found an old Halloween postcard from 1912. I do have a lot of angels so I may have to do some selling on Ebay again because I can't fit any more in my cabinet. It's hard though because I like them all.

Just got back from the Dermatologist and I'm glad that is over....couldn't sleep last night worrying about it. Now, my next worry is my dental appt. on Thursday. Just call me a Worry Wart......hummm. That's another thing to look up. “Worry Wart” is “a person who annoys others by worrying loudly and constantly over nearly everything.” (Sorry, folks). The earliest use of the phrase in print found so far is from 1956, although an earlier form, “worryguts,” had been popular in Britain since the 1930s. But “worry wart” became a household standard when it was used as the name of a recurrent character in “Out Our Way,” a popular newspaper comic strip drawn by James R. Williams from 1922 to 1957. Oddly enough, Williams’ “Worry Wart” was a young boy who caused worry in others, rather than being plagued by worry himself.

Don't Be a Worry-Wart - Be a Happy Wart!!

2 comments:

Anne said...

Worry aloud all you want. I won't get annoyed. I do find the origins of these labels to be very interesting. I do really like your halloween noisemaker. Are you going to post the postcard?

Anonymous said...

Worry warts + worry guts = Worrier

I need to work on reducing this equation.